Today’s post is short and simple. I took a much needed mental health weekend and did not want to do anything elaborate. Resting my mind did wonders for my outlook. Onward.
I don’t know what it is about cover songs. Yes, some are awful. But others add a dimension to a beloved song or express the song in a way I hadn’t anticipated. Today, I’m going to share a few of my favorite covers with y’all.
These covers, in my opinion, are everything a cover song should be. They respect what was great about the original but still manage to give it new life.
1. “Good Times Bad Times” by Godsmack ~ There’s something special about the way Godsmack updated Led Zeppelin’s classic. It’s louder and nastier than ever.
2. “Me and the Devil Blues” by The Cowboy Junkies ~ A lot of people have recorded this song since Robert Johnson first recorded it in the 1930s. But this version captures everything that is haunting and hair-raising about this song. This is one of my favorite songs to listen to while I write.
3. “Cat Scratch Fever” by Pantera ~ Pantera was one of the best rock and roll bands to come out of Texas. I love their version of this song. It always makes me dance.
4. “Such Great Heights” by Iron and Wine ~ Iron and Wine is one of my favorite mellow bands. I knew “Such Great Heights” as their song long before I realized it was a cover.
5. “Signs” by Tesla ~ Every body has a musical anthem. Tesla’s version of this song is mine.