Hiatus

Welcome to Wild Card Wednesday.  Today’s post is going to be a shortie.  I just wanted to let y’all know I’m taking a blog hiatus through the rest of the month.  I will see you all the first Wednesday of September.

What’s wrong, Catie?

Nothing is really wrong, per se.  I am just very, very busy.

• I agreed to read–and critique–submissions for a short story anthology that will be released this fall by members of the W2GE Street team.
  • I am working hard, hard, hard on my fiction because I want to release a collection of short stories before the end of this year (holiday season) and want to release my first novel in 2013.  I also submitted a short story to the anthology I mentioned above.
  • I am doing some training with Cosmo that requires us to “practice” 2-3 times per week.  Working with Cosmo in this way has been one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done.  He’s very smart and cooperative.  But it also eats up a good chunk of time.
  • My family has had to make the heartbreaking decision to put Mamaw (my last living grandparent) in a nursing home.  For various reasons, she could no longer live alone, and none of us can physically handle her in our homes.  I am sad, and it is distracting.

I was juggling all this stuff–or, really, just keeping my head above water–until I went back to the pineywoods for a visit.  I didn’t even open my laptop during this weekend long visit.  Since I got home, I have been behind.

Burnout

After reading Louise Behiel’s blog post on burnout, I realized what was happening to me.  When I have time to write, I have a hard time doing it.  And it’s probably because I’m reading burnout stage.

So, before I go on some weird rampage, I’m going to take a two-week break from the blog.  I hope I can get caught up during this two weeks and come back refreshed.  Some of the problem is me not managing my time very well, so I also plan to work on that.

I’ll leave you with a song I’ve been playing air guitar to instead of writing:

Rest in Peace

Layne Staley 1967-2002

Mike Starr 1966-2011

What a long strange trip it is…

I will see you all in two weeks.  If you need to contact me, you can find me on Facebook and Twitter.  I’m Catie Rhodes at both places.  Or use my contact form.

Posted in:

48 thoughts on “Hiatus

1. Good luck with all of your projects and I’m sorry to hear about Mamaw. You deserve a blogging break and I look forward to your return in September! HUGS

• Thanks, girl! I bet I forgot to tell you I was doing this via email, didn’t I? Heavens. I am out of it. Looking forward to September’s movie of the month.

2. Busy girl. It’s okay to take a break. I’ll catch you when you return.
    Hugs and success with Cosmo.

• Thanks for the kind words. And thanks for the good wishes with Cosmo. He’s doing so well. He’s so eager to please. :D

3. I totally get this and commend you for doing what you need to do. I went MIA too and hope to get back to my blog but unlike you, I disappeared without warning. Wish I’d had the forethought to ‘make the decision’ instead of going awol and feeling bad about it. Hang in there. I’m sorry about your Mamaw. :( Recharge and I look forward to seeing you when you get back.

• For what it’s worth, Ginger, I almost didn’t announce. But I didn’t want people to worry. (LOL)

Thanks for your kind words about my Mamaw. This is hard for me because I stayed with her every day after I came home from school. Back then, she seemed so interesting and exotic. She could speak Spanish and make hot tamales from scratch. And, now, it’s hard to see her old and helpless. Anyway, thanks for your kind words.

4. You’re doing the right thing by stepping back Catie. being creatively productive requires a tremendous amount of energy and focus. When we try to do too much, everything suffers. Take care of you and the business at hand and don’t forget to have some fun along the way. You can always read and review those anthology short stories while sitting on the beach!

• Thanks for your support PJ. I think this was definitely caused by me taking on too much. Oooh, reading the beach. Wouldn’t that be awesome?

5. Like we talked about yesterday, I’m right there with you. Hope you get a lot accomplished. I’m sorry to hear about your Mamaw. I know how stressful and sad that is. Praying for you and your family. {{{hugs}}}

• I saw that you posted something similar on your blog. So we are in the same place.

As for Mamaw being in the nursing home, it is stressful. I am so sad this is where it ended up. Also, I know this means I will have no grandparents in the foreseeable future. That scares me because it means I’m getting older too. Blah, blah, blah.

6. on ,
    Emma said:

Hope you get to relax a bit in the next couple of weeks. Look after yourself.

7. on ,
    alandhopewell said:

My condolences for your loss. Definitely, DEFINITELY take a breather, dance, pound down some Blue Bell, sit on the floor with some puppies in your lap….RECHARGE.

• Blue Bell. That sounds so good. I need to try that Coconut Fudge flavor. I look at it every time I go to the grocery and talk myself out of it.

8. You’ll get a lot accomplished. Living one’s life takes up a lot of time without adding the social media stuff, don’t you think? There are always a ton of things tugging at your time and you have to prioritize and at times that means putting some stuff on hold. Good for you.
    Patti
    LOVED THE VIDEO. I’ve heard of them but am not familiar with their music. Man, two of the members of that group passed away awfully young!

• Living life takes an amazing amount of time and energy. There’s always stuff to do. Some of it can wait; some of it is not.

I am so glad you liked Alice in Chains. I LOVED their music back in the day and still do. Layne Staley had the most amazing voice. And Mike Starr was a wonderful bass player. They died too young.

9. Sorry about your MaMaw, Catie…. I hear you on the need for a break… get some serious R & R on your hiatus… love the song by the way!! I’m an Alice In Chains fan – I was so upset when Layne died!… I am glad you are prioritizing and such.. very important! Take care.. I’ll see you in a couple weeks.
    BTW – I wrote an article last March about AIC’s bassist who was found dead.. that was upsetting too! See you around Flip Town, Catie!

• Off to read your article. I just loved Mike Starr on Celebrity Rehab. He seemed like such a nice guy. It made me so sad that he was ultimately unable beat his demons and his addiction.

Thanks for your kind words, Darlene.

10. on ,
    alandhopewell said:

A wee bit to add to your tunes….

11. on ,
    Rich- said:

I am very excited for you and your forthcoming projects! You have a wonderful sense of what people will find interesting and an approach that is honest and down to earth. I have no doubt that your current endeavors will result in heart poundingly delightful things to read! You are to be commended on your ability to entertain and maintain a personal level of interest in the comments, opinions, and insights offered by your readers. Thank you so much for what you do. As always I am looking forward to your next post. Until then my prayers are with you and your family. Your Fan Rich-

• Thank you so much for your kind words, Rich. And for your confidence in me. I wish I had more of that inner confidence. I’ll look forward to seeing you in September. :D

12. I’m excited about your fiction plans! Of course, I will miss you here, but it’s great that you’re wise enough to do what you need to do. My prayers are with your family about your Mamaw’s living situation. Call me if you ever need to chat! :)

• Thanks for the offer. I wouldn’t dare bore you with my personal angst. It’s mostly just feeling sorry for myself and nursing guilt. Thanks for your prayers.

13. Great plans, and I understand your need to regroup and refresh. Look forward to seeing you here in September. :)

14. on ,
    Jess Witkins said:

Hang in there Catie! You sound like a really busy lady! Focus on what you need to. We’re all rooting for you and will celebrate when you get back!

15. Sorry about your Mamaw, Catie. Tough decision. Exciting news about your fiction, though! I wish you a truckload of productivity to get through the next two weeks. You’ll feel so good when you come back!

• Thanks for the productivity wish. I am a great procrastinator. Me needing to take this hiatus is proof of that! You’re a good friend.

16. on ,
    Shannon Esposito said:

Awe, Catie, we’ll miss you, of course but a break is always better than a break-down. :-) So sorry about the difficult times with your Mamaw. It’s so hard watching the toll aging takes on our loved ones. Very emotionally draining. Take care of yourself & remember to have some fun!

• You’re right–watching loved ones age is hard. Part of my problem is watching my parents age, too, and worrying about what that might bring. So, yes, I’m emotionally drained. Thanks so much for your support.

17. These comments represent what I love about the WANA community of bloggers: mutual caring and concern. We all love you, Catie, and we’ll miss your posts, but take care of yourself first. When you get ready to publish, feel free to call on me for reviews or interviews or anything else I can do to help you.

• I agree, David. And thanks for the offer of help. I’ll definitely talk to you when the time comes. :D

18. on ,
    Karen McFarland said:

Catie, you are speaking to the choir girl! I so totally get this. Go, get your work done and I hope that this time period will give you some peace of mind. See you in September! :)

• Thanks for the support, Karen. As soon as I published this post, I felt a great deal of relief. As long as I can keep myself moving, this should be a good break for me.

19. Sad news about Mamaw, Catie, but I’m glad you’re recognizing it as part of the storm that’s exhausting you. enjoy your time and if you need more, take more. we only want you well.

• Thanks for the kind words, Louise. It wasn’t until I read your post about burnout that I realized my problem was ALL the stuff in my life. Then, I could start figuring out how to get some peace. So you helped me even though you didn’t mean to.

20. I know it’s very difficult to put a loved one in a nursing home. A hard adjustment for the whole family. Many prayers.

As for your projects, may your muse be generous. See you back in September. :)

• Thanks for the wish of good luck and thanks for taking the time to comment. Your support means the world to me.

21. No worries Catie! We will be here when you get back. Good luck with your writing projects. Sometimes a nursing home is the safest and best place for our elders even though I would imagine it was hard to do…

• The nursing home is the safest place for Mamaw. She can’t get around well, and her judgement is no longer good. It is so hard to know that’s where she has to live now. Thanks for the support.

22. Can’t wait to see the rejuvenated you after you get back. Enjoy your quiet end-of-summer time…

23. on ,
    Donna Coe-Velleman said:

Sending hugs and good wishes to you and your family. Take care of yourself – please.
    See you when you’re ready. : )

24. Hats off and hugs to you for keeping your priorities straight. You’re gonna rock it toward your fabulous goals. My thoughts will be with you and your family.